Homemade yoghurt is easy, cheap and doesn’t require lots of equipment
If making your own yoghurt sounds like something someone else would do, think again. It costs pennies, is dead easy – we’re talking just two ingredients here – and the results are delicious and super-healthy (all that good bacteria!).
Difficulty level: medium
Cooking time: 1 hour
Preparation time: 1 hourIngredients
• 1 litre milk
• 3 tablespoons of plain live yoghurt (make sure it’s live yoghurt – you need the microorganisms to ‘start’ your new batch of yoghurt)Directions
1. Put the milk in a saucepan with a thermometer placed in it. Cook for about 5-7 minutes until it reaches 180 °C. Stir occasionally to stop the milk from scorching.
2. Take the milk off the heat and let it cool to 115 °C.
3. Whisk 1 cup of the milk with the yoghurt. Then stir this into the rest of the milk.
4. Transfer the mixture into a sterilised jar. Wrap this jar (without its lid) in a couple of clean tea towels. This helps keep the mixture at the right temperature.
Now leave to stand undisturbed for 4 to 5 hours or until the mixture has the consistency of thick custard.
5. Put the lid on your yoghurt before refrigerating until cool, then enjoy.